Skip to main content

Tx Plan 7/10/2023

Here is the plan, concurrent with neurosurgery to come, from my 7/10 video call with my oncologist:

Assessment and Plan--

Kyle E Clarke is a 58 y.o. man with metastatic melanoma involving the brain now with a new imaging finding concerning for a new relapse in the brain.
 
I suggest that the patient keeps his appointment with Dr. Theodosopoulos in Neurosurgery to see what his surgical options are. This surgery is not excessively morbid and thought to be likely to have some significant clinical benefit; this could be considered independently. I would like to resume full doses of ipilimumab and nivolumab, namely 3 mg of ipilimumab with 1 mg of nivolumab every 3 weeks for 4 doses. Because the patient has had recent exposure to these agents, I will add a booster dose of 2 mg of ipilimumab as soon as possible and I'll ask my staff to schedule/make arrangements. In 3 weeks after this dose, I will give the patient both drugs in accordance with the standard of care regimen. The patient expressed understanding and would like to proceed on this basis. I will coordinate care with Neurosurgery and Radiation Oncology as appropriate and I do not think that exposure to a regimen of ipilimumab and nivolumab will preclude surgical intervention.
 
I reviewed the patient's medical information and medical history.
 
I have reviewed the past medical, family, and social history sections including the medications and allergies listed in the above medical record.
I discussed my assessment and plan with the patient, who indicates understanding of these issues and agrees with the plan. Our contact information including the call center number (415)353-9900 was reviewed.
 
Complexity: High -- Managing serious malignancy and coordinating multidisciplinary care
 
Acuity: High -- Life-threatening illness
 
I spent a total of 30 minutes on this patient's care on the day of their visit excluding time spent related to any billed procedures. This time includes time spent with the patient as well as time spent documenting in the medical record, reviewing patient's records and tests, obtaining history, placing orders, communicating with other healthcare professionals, counseling the patient, family, or caregiver, and/or care coordination for the diagnoses above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd talk with Surgeon

Found out more about the VATS procedure today. They'll remove a nodule, and then keep me on the table while it's biopsied. If it is positive, they'll get more material, then wrap up. If the biopsy comes back negative, they'll do another nodule... and biopsy again and wait... not sure how many times they'll repeat. I guess I'm hoping for a long procedure. The surgeon said he'll ask the lab to freeze some of the material so that I could have it retrieved at a later time... mentioned I was getting a second opinion from UCSF cancer center, and that UCSF may therefore be interested in getting some of the sample as well.

Cyberknife 11/9-10

Underwent 2 cyberknife sessions, the first to treat the tumor bed of the first brain tumor, the second to treat the second one that showed up recently. The procedure is pretty straightforward, it's outpatient. The picture shows the mask they made for me which holds my head in place so the laser is accurate. Each session was an hour or so. I should know by the end of the weekend if there are any short-term complications (none I hope). Then it's a matter of letting the radiation do its job over the next couple of months. Then re-scanning to see both how the two treated areas are doing, and also to see if anything new shows up in the brain.

Cycle 4/Course 2 Finished

(8/6-8/9/2010) Finished cycle 4/course 2. Stopped this time due to some combination of high white T cell count, neurotoxicity and maybe something else. Tolerated 4 bags out of a total of 14, felt as bad as the other times where I tolerated more doses. Will get more scans in about 5 weeks time, and see what they look like compared to the last sets.