Found out more about the VATS procedure today.
They'll remove a nodule, and then keep me on the table while it's biopsied. If it is positive, they'll get more material, then wrap up.
If the biopsy comes back negative, they'll do another nodule... and biopsy again and wait... not sure how many times they'll repeat. I guess I'm hoping for a long procedure.
The surgeon said he'll ask the lab to freeze some of the material so that I could have it retrieved at a later time... mentioned I was getting a second opinion from UCSF cancer center, and that UCSF may therefore be interested in getting some of the sample as well.
They'll remove a nodule, and then keep me on the table while it's biopsied. If it is positive, they'll get more material, then wrap up.
If the biopsy comes back negative, they'll do another nodule... and biopsy again and wait... not sure how many times they'll repeat. I guess I'm hoping for a long procedure.
The surgeon said he'll ask the lab to freeze some of the material so that I could have it retrieved at a later time... mentioned I was getting a second opinion from UCSF cancer center, and that UCSF may therefore be interested in getting some of the sample as well.
That's the first time I've heard of someone hoping for a long surgery, but that would be ideal to have them keep coming back negative! Does this change how long the surgery recovery will be? My surgery, although simple in comparison, took only a week for me to feel completely back to normal. A friend introduced me to Guitar Hero, which one can master by diverting a work-week to it!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure Bill. The "happy path" recovery should not be too bad. Complications would be the biggest factor. Without complications, "Recovery is swift. Most VATS patients eat and walk within hours of the procedure, and most (or majority) return home within one to two days."
ReplyDelete