I pointed out a spot on my face to my new dermatologist, outside of the UCSF system. It had been on my right cheek for a couple of years. They took a punch biopsy on 4/26/22. The dermatologist said it looked suspicious for carcinoma and sent the slides on 5/4 to UCSF Dermatological Pathology for consultation. Their report, completed on 6/4, says it is basal cell carcinoma. Probably BCC #6 for me, but had not had one on my face before. On my face, they will do a Mohs surgery, scheduled for 7/7.
The dermpath note from UCSF says:
Thank you for sharing this challenging case with us. I agree with your interpretation entirely that this biopsy shows features worrisome for carcinoma, including small collections of basaloid cells with a surrounding inflamed fibromyxoid stroma. I considered the possibility of a distorted inflamed follicle, but the presence of atypia in the small basaloid islands (small apoptotic bodies and an occasional mitotic figure) together with the mucinous stroma and focal positivity for Ber-EP4, I favor focal basal cell carcinoma.
Only a few basaloid nests are captured herein precluding precise determination of the basal cell carcinoma subtype. I have shared this case with my colleague, Dr. Thaddeus Mully, who agrees with the diagnosis and assessment.
Comments
Post a Comment