Skip to main content

More on Hyponatremia

Regarding hyponatremia, which accompanied my symptoms of nausea, extreme fatigue, drymouth, weakness and the beginning of some confusion back in September, the following sentiments are ones I can identify with:

Yin:




Yang:




My symptoms turned out to be those of Isolated ACTH Deficiency (IAD). In terms of rarity, IAD is a rare disorder, listed in the Rare Diseases Database by NORD (National Organization of Rare Diseases). To put one number on it, this paper says,
The incidence of IAD in adult patients is not well understood due to its rarity (7). A single Japanese cohort study estimated its prevalence at 3.8-7.3 per 100,000 (8). Between 1969 and 1994, more than 300 cases were reported in Japan; thus, IAD may not be as rare as indicated by the scarcity of literature (9).
In terms of my suspicion that the hyponatremia that occurred contemporaneously with my nausea, fatigue, weakness, etc. symptoms should have been paid attention to as a marker of something, now hyponatreima is being pointed to more and more as a marker for IAD that oncologists treating with immunotherapy should look for. This 2019 "Letter to the Editor" about hyponatremia in Endocrine Journal (coming out 4 months after my episode), says,
Hyponatremia can be a powerful
predictor of the development of
isolated ACTH deficiency associated
with nivolumab treatment 
and
Our cases highlight the importance
of comparing serum Na levels before and
during treatment, and measuring ACTH and cortisol
levels in patients with hyponatremia during
nivolumab treatment.
Regarding my NA levels showing hyponatremia, the oncologist on my team said it meant nothing. The practice nurse on my team argued with me that whether it even was hyponatremia -- he said it wasn't. Whereas a nurse substituting for my PCP at the time, told me my hyponatremia was serious and I should report to the ER in the morning if I couldn't bring my sodium levels up by binging on salt that night. That told me that hyponatremia was a big deal, and a few days later I did the simple google search that told me to tell my oncology team that I was approaching or in an adrenal crisis.

I'm aware now that seeing my PCP, or NP subbing for him, can be a helpful backstop to my oncology team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd talk with Surgeon

Found out more about the VATS procedure today. They'll remove a nodule, and then keep me on the table while it's biopsied. If it is positive, they'll get more material, then wrap up. If the biopsy comes back negative, they'll do another nodule... and biopsy again and wait... not sure how many times they'll repeat. I guess I'm hoping for a long procedure. The surgeon said he'll ask the lab to freeze some of the material so that I could have it retrieved at a later time... mentioned I was getting a second opinion from UCSF cancer center, and that UCSF may therefore be interested in getting some of the sample as well.

Cyberknife 11/9-10

Underwent 2 cyberknife sessions, the first to treat the tumor bed of the first brain tumor, the second to treat the second one that showed up recently. The procedure is pretty straightforward, it's outpatient. The picture shows the mask they made for me which holds my head in place so the laser is accurate. Each session was an hour or so. I should know by the end of the weekend if there are any short-term complications (none I hope). Then it's a matter of letting the radiation do its job over the next couple of months. Then re-scanning to see both how the two treated areas are doing, and also to see if anything new shows up in the brain.

Cycle 4/Course 2 Finished

(8/6-8/9/2010) Finished cycle 4/course 2. Stopped this time due to some combination of high white T cell count, neurotoxicity and maybe something else. Tolerated 4 bags out of a total of 14, felt as bad as the other times where I tolerated more doses. Will get more scans in about 5 weeks time, and see what they look like compared to the last sets.