Skip to main content

First Endocrinologist Visit

My endocrinologist appointment as on Wednesday, 10/3. Another test result came back, which had been sent to an outside laboratory several days earlier.

My new endocrinologist said that the new test pointed more towards a destructive autoimmune reaction in my pituitary, rather than adrenal glands, but he wasn't sure yet. The pituitary gland issues commands to the adrenaline gland to secrete cortisone. If the pituitary gland is the problem, rather than the adrenal glands themselves, it is 'secondary adrenal insufficiency'.

He did a thorough physical examination and asked a lot of questions.

He had the lab draw an additional dozen new vials of blood, some to be sent to off-site specialty laboratories, e.g., San Diego and elsewhere. These results may take awhile to come back. I have a telephone follow-up call on the 29th, and then an office visit in December. I am starting off by tapering from prednisone. I will start initially on the Hydrocortisone replacement hormone on Friday the 12th. Later on, the hormone replacements might be adjusted. I will start with 20mg in the morning and 10mg in the late afternoon.

He also said that I need to get a medic alert bracelet and wallet card, which I've gone ahead and ordered. This is because that if I get a serious stress on my system, my hydrocortisone dose needs to be doubled or tripled. This is called "stress dosing". He said I'll gradually learn what the right amount to increase the dose is for me depending on the situation, i.e. getting the flu; getting hurt; a long rounds of diarrhea, and the like.

Normally, extra cortisol is issued by the endocrine system at these times to stop the body from going out of control trying to fight an infection or fix itself. If this happens and I am incapacitated, though, the crisis could be deadly. If I'm awake but nauseous and can't get pills down, I would need to go to an ER where an injection could be given. If not, EMTs always look for a medic alert bracelet. Mine will say Adrenal Insufficiency. Hopefully it will never need to be read.


[Before I saw the endocrinologist, I had my Monday, 10/1 infusion appointment. This was after the weekend I learned of my adrenally insufficiency condition. An assistant did the physical examination and asked some questions. After that my oncologist came in for maybe 3 minutes at the most, saying "I think we fried your adrenal glands". In his defense I did speak to a resident for 30 minutes the preceding Saturday

I asked my oncologist (who I credit with saving my life in 2011) to refer me to an endocrinologist. He said I wouldn't need one, and that he would manage it himself. I said, what if I want it the treatment fine- fine tuned? His team did set up what turned out what seemed to be a "stat" appointment. I saw the endocrinologist literally 2 days later.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd talk with Surgeon

Found out more about the VATS procedure today. They'll remove a nodule, and then keep me on the table while it's biopsied. If it is positive, they'll get more material, then wrap up. If the biopsy comes back negative, they'll do another nodule... and biopsy again and wait... not sure how many times they'll repeat. I guess I'm hoping for a long procedure. The surgeon said he'll ask the lab to freeze some of the material so that I could have it retrieved at a later time... mentioned I was getting a second opinion from UCSF cancer center, and that UCSF may therefore be interested in getting some of the sample as well.

Cyberknife 11/9-10

Underwent 2 cyberknife sessions, the first to treat the tumor bed of the first brain tumor, the second to treat the second one that showed up recently. The procedure is pretty straightforward, it's outpatient. The picture shows the mask they made for me which holds my head in place so the laser is accurate. Each session was an hour or so. I should know by the end of the weekend if there are any short-term complications (none I hope). Then it's a matter of letting the radiation do its job over the next couple of months. Then re-scanning to see both how the two treated areas are doing, and also to see if anything new shows up in the brain.

Cycle 4/Course 2 Finished

(8/6-8/9/2010) Finished cycle 4/course 2. Stopped this time due to some combination of high white T cell count, neurotoxicity and maybe something else. Tolerated 4 bags out of a total of 14, felt as bad as the other times where I tolerated more doses. Will get more scans in about 5 weeks time, and see what they look like compared to the last sets.