Skip to main content

Latest stuff

With a recurrence in  my right lung, I'm following plan A which is to try to get into a clinical trial in the immediate future. If I can't do that fairly quickly, plan B is to ask for IPI reinduction.

Bronchoscopy 2/6: An approximately 2 cm 4R lymph node identified. 4 separate passes of the transbronchial needle into this lymph node were made under direct ultrasound visualization. The cytopathologist was present in the room to confirm adequate sampling. The instrument was then slowly withdrawn and removed.
 Transbronchial Node aspirates x 4 were submitted to Cytology.

Path report 2/6: Aspirate material is abundantly cellular and composed of malignant cells arranged in poorly-cohesive
 aggregates and as single cells. The cells are characterized by scant-to-moderate dense cytoplasm,  
pleomorphic, irregular nuclei and prominent nucleoli. Intranuclear inclusions are present. Mitotic 
figures are readily identified. The cytologic findings are those of metastatic melanoma.

CT Scan 1/14: New 1.8 cm right paratracheal centrally necrotic lymph node suspicious for metastatic disease. No evidence of metastatic disease in the abdomen/pelvis.

MRI 1/14: Compared to 9/9/2013, no appreciable change in appearance of previously seen parenchymal metastatic lesions. No new enhancing lesions to suggest new metastatic disease.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd talk with Surgeon

Found out more about the VATS procedure today. They'll remove a nodule, and then keep me on the table while it's biopsied. If it is positive, they'll get more material, then wrap up. If the biopsy comes back negative, they'll do another nodule... and biopsy again and wait... not sure how many times they'll repeat. I guess I'm hoping for a long procedure. The surgeon said he'll ask the lab to freeze some of the material so that I could have it retrieved at a later time... mentioned I was getting a second opinion from UCSF cancer center, and that UCSF may therefore be interested in getting some of the sample as well.

Cyberknife 11/9-10

Underwent 2 cyberknife sessions, the first to treat the tumor bed of the first brain tumor, the second to treat the second one that showed up recently. The procedure is pretty straightforward, it's outpatient. The picture shows the mask they made for me which holds my head in place so the laser is accurate. Each session was an hour or so. I should know by the end of the weekend if there are any short-term complications (none I hope). Then it's a matter of letting the radiation do its job over the next couple of months. Then re-scanning to see both how the two treated areas are doing, and also to see if anything new shows up in the brain.

Cycle 4/Course 2 Finished

(8/6-8/9/2010) Finished cycle 4/course 2. Stopped this time due to some combination of high white T cell count, neurotoxicity and maybe something else. Tolerated 4 bags out of a total of 14, felt as bad as the other times where I tolerated more doses. Will get more scans in about 5 weeks time, and see what they look like compared to the last sets.