My epileptologist (a specialization in neurology) says:
- The abnormalities seen on my EEG this February, focused in my left occipital lobe, are better characterized as electrical abnormalities, as opposed to partial seizures, which would have a beginning, middle and end. The visual field disturbances associated with the electrical abnormalities has been ongoing, 24x7 since September 2010.
- Since I've been on Lamictal I've noticed, very distinctly when I wake up in the morning, it is almost always is from a dream. This wasn't happening before the switch, and to me seemed like vivid dreaming when it first started. However, it's probably the normal level of dream activity for anybody. He says this may be indicative of deeper, better quality sleep. While the sleep I had before was longer, it was probably low quality.
- The way to see if I would have an actual seizure if weaned off of anti-seizure medication, would be to do that and see. The way I'm reminded that I forgot to take a dose of medication (Lamictal, and Keppra before it) is that the visual patterns start becoming more lively and present. But there isn't any compelling reason to want to try this.
- We decided that the benefits of Lamictal (mood stabilization e.g. much less of a short fuse, and better sleep quality) outweigh the drawbacks (somewhat increased forgetfulness and bit of confusion).
- A visual event that used to happen once every week or so, lasting for 20 minutes, was probably an 'optical migraine'. A translucent but quite present visual pattern in the right side of my visual field would appear, become more visible and gradually expanding, filling the entire right side of my visual field before vanishing off the edges. This hasn't happened for many months now, possibly coinciding with the time when I switched to Lamictal.
- There are only 3 anti-seizure drugs he thinks would make sense for treating these conditions. I've been on two (Keppra and Lamictal). The third one (forget the name) is pretty weak.
- It makes sense that the tinnitus-like sounds in my ears are in stereo, i.e., not the same in each ear. These typically last for 2 to 10 hours. and may be from temporal lobe damage. For the second round of brain tumors, which included one in the right temporal lobe, the first symptom I experienced was waking up bolt upright, with a huge loud noise in my ears almost like jet engines. Fortunately the bouts of tinnitus since then are nothing like that.
Comments
Post a Comment