Skip to main content

Death of a Hobby

Talked with one of my neursurgeons today. As far as the MRI last week everything's fine. There are no new areas of concern, and the areas that were treated, look as well as is expected at this point (MRI was 5 weeks post treatment). It should be followed up at 3 months, and then (his sense) every 4-5 months after that.

I asked him about motorcycling / racing and would I ever do that again. He said, no. And not due to anything about my skull, vision issues, or anything else related specifically to the head/brain. Rather, simply stated, it's the risk of injury and the resulting hit to my immune system, that I need to not put myself in the way of.

While undergoing IL-2 immunotherapy, there were some interesting restrictions. For example, no topical steroids (whichy systemically depress the immune system). And no teeth cleanings (which unleashes a bit hit to the immune system). I have not used/undergone either since. He said if I do want to get my teeth cleaned, for example, I should check with my oncologist first, and probably be put on an antibiotic regimen.

He mentioned that to treat colitis (an immune system overreaction), they're using worms now in the GI tract. The worms act as a decoy, drawing the immmune system response away from where it is doing its damage/overreacting. In my case, I don't want any decoys. I want the immune system as fully functional as possible to keep the disease in check.

This is in line with what the UCSF lead oncologist said, that melanoma is immunologically sensitive/modulated, and that he thinks a lot more people than realize it are walking around with melanoma. It's just that their immune system is keeping it in check. Let's say the immune system is winning, 51% to 49%. I don't want to tip the scale the other way.

I just requested a book from the library, The Ten Best Tools to Boost Your Immune System.

Comments

  1. Phew! Congrats! Relief! But I'm shocked by the reasons given as to why no more racing/motorcycles. I still think doctors are biased against motorcycles and assume they're 100% dangerous. You're not a "ground magnet" and trackdays could be possible with visual adjustments/markers but really? I have to mull that one over for awhile...I'm of the train of thought that you have a higher chance of getting seriously hurt trying to cross San Bruno Ave on foot than doing a couple sessions at the track at a reduced pace. Boo. But I understand the need to preserve.

    As far as the "decoys", I find that cool! I know how you feel about that stuff, but think about it- the best way to keep a really nasty wound clean is using maggots because all they do is eat the rotting stuff, never touching the healthy areas and it's 100% natural ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2nd talk with Surgeon

Found out more about the VATS procedure today. They'll remove a nodule, and then keep me on the table while it's biopsied. If it is positive, they'll get more material, then wrap up. If the biopsy comes back negative, they'll do another nodule... and biopsy again and wait... not sure how many times they'll repeat. I guess I'm hoping for a long procedure. The surgeon said he'll ask the lab to freeze some of the material so that I could have it retrieved at a later time... mentioned I was getting a second opinion from UCSF cancer center, and that UCSF may therefore be interested in getting some of the sample as well.

Cyberknife 11/9-10

Underwent 2 cyberknife sessions, the first to treat the tumor bed of the first brain tumor, the second to treat the second one that showed up recently. The procedure is pretty straightforward, it's outpatient. The picture shows the mask they made for me which holds my head in place so the laser is accurate. Each session was an hour or so. I should know by the end of the weekend if there are any short-term complications (none I hope). Then it's a matter of letting the radiation do its job over the next couple of months. Then re-scanning to see both how the two treated areas are doing, and also to see if anything new shows up in the brain.

Cycle 4/Course 2 Finished

(8/6-8/9/2010) Finished cycle 4/course 2. Stopped this time due to some combination of high white T cell count, neurotoxicity and maybe something else. Tolerated 4 bags out of a total of 14, felt as bad as the other times where I tolerated more doses. Will get more scans in about 5 weeks time, and see what they look like compared to the last sets.